TRAVEL PLAYER EVALUATION & TEAM PLACEMENT
Preparations for the Fall 2023 (and Spring 2024!) seasons are well underway! This page should answer any question you may have, however if you have any additional questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FALL 2023 PLAYER EVALUATION SCHEDULE
|||Tuesday - May 30: Grades 3 & 4||Wednesday - May 31: Grades 5 & 6||Thursday - June 1: Grades 7 & 8|
|4:45pm||Boys 3/4 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Boys 5/6 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Boys 7/8 Check-Ins + Warm-ups|
|5:00-6:15pm||Boys 3/4 Player Evaluations||Boys 5/6 Player Evaluations||Boys 7/8 Player Evaluations|
|6:15pm||Girls 3/4 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Girls 5/6 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Girls 7/8 Check-Ins + Warm-ups|
|6:30-7:45pm||Girls 3/4 Player Evaluations||Girls 5/6 Player Evaluations||Girls 7/8 Player Evaluations|
|||Monday - June 5: Grades 3 & 4||Tuesday - June 6: Grades 5 & 6||Wednesday - June 7: Grades 7 & 8|
|4:45pm||Girls 3/4 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Girls 5/6 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Girls 7/8 Check-Ins + Warm-ups|
|5:00-6:15pm||Girls 3/4 Player Evaluations||Girls 5/6 Player Evaluations||Girls 7/8 Player Evaluations|
|6:15pm||Boys 3/4 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Boys 5/6 Check-Ins + Warm-ups||Boys 7/8 Check-Ins + Warm-ups|
|6:30-7:45pm||Boys 3/4 Player Evaluations||Boys 5/6 Player Evaluations||Boys 7/8 Player Evaluations|
*** RAIN DATES ***
Friday, June 2
Thursday, June 8
Friday, June 9
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where are tryouts held?
Tryouts will be held at the Lower Frasca Fields.
Do I need to participate in both sessions?
It is highly recommended for all players to participate in both sessions to ensure complete evaluations and proper placements.
What if we can only make one session or miss them both all together?
In the event you are unable to make 1 of the 2 sessions, or miss them both altogether, we will evaluate players based on prior evaluations, history within TYSL (both team and divisional placements), and feedback from prior coaches.
This is my first year of Travel soccer with TYSL, will I need to purchase a new uniform?
- Yes, you will receive an email with your players assigned number along after the player/team placements period with instruction on how to order your new TYSL Travel uniform kit (this is different from our In-Town uniform kit.)
- Please do not order a uniform until you've received your assigned number.
- Purchasing links can be found on the Uniforms page.
- Direct any questions to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Am I guaranteed to be placed on a team?
- TYSL strives to include all players in all age groups, however registrations/placements are not based on a first come/first-served basis
- In extremely rare cases, cuts will need to be made to field a team
- For example: if an age group falls short of fielding two teams, as they may have done historically, there would be a need to meet the approved number of rostered players in that age group to field a single team. In this rare case, cuts would need to be made – following our normal player evaluation process
- MYSL Roster Guidelines as follows (please refer to MYSL Handbook for all policies and guidelines)
How will players be evaluated?
Players are evaluated by performing 3 separate drills that are designed to gauge their overall soccer capabilities & skillsets.
- Dribble/Pass/Shoot: this drill alone, although simple, will highlight each player's ability to properly accept, control, handle, and shoot the ball. This is not necessarily a speed drill. Evaluators look for command and control of the ball with meaningful passes and shots.
- 1v1's: a more competitive drill that will gauge a player's control and foot skills as well as their ability to finish in both attacking + defensive scenarios.
- 4v4's: like 1v1's but on a larger scale, but small enough where all players will actively play a role in the drill. Evaluators look for the players overall effectiveness in the game on both side of the ball (including communication with teammates), passing and possession capabilities.
Evaluators are made up of volunteers within our TYSL community
- Primary evaluation of our Girl players, ideally, will be performed by our Boys coaches, and vice versa
- Direct coaching feedback can be considered in specific placement situations, however not the initial scoring averages
- Direct Parent/Player - specific relationship evaluation scores will not be accepted/submitted
How are team divisions determined?
- Divisional placement is determined by each respective age group’s Middlesex Youth Soccer League (MYSL) Age Director
- During each mid-season, each town within MYSL meets with the League to discuss each team’s make-up, prior record(s), prior divisional placement(s), and any other specific factors that could play into this decision
- Divisions can be reassigned in mid-season based on overall team performance
We only plan to play in the Spring, do we still need to try out?
- No, we will evaluate players based on prior evaluations, history within TYSL (both team and divisional placements), and feedback from prior coaches
- In extremely unlikely cases (for example: high player turnover that significantly impacts the team's roster and divisional placements) some age groups could have a need for mid-season tryouts (to be held in the December/January timeframe, location TBD).
- If your age group falls into this extremely unlikely case, communications will be made to those impacted age groups in the October timeframe once registration closes to allow proper planning
- No returning players from the Fall will be placed on a lower team if a mid-season tryout is needed.
- Mid-season tryouts will be the extreme exception rather than the norm
I have registered for the Fall, however I am on the Waitlist. What should I expect?
You should still plan to attend both tryout sessions as we sometimes do see players drop out during the placement process for various reasons.
If we're having mid-season tryouts, could my player be placed on a different team in the Spring?
- TYSL will make every effort for all returning players from the Fall season to remain on their original team in the Spring season
- Returning players from a "lower" team(s) will have the opportunity to try out and move to a "higher" team - again, in the highly unlikely event a mid-season tryout is needed
- In extremely rare circumstances, however, there may be situations where players could be placed on "lower" teams.
- For example, player turnover has been an increasing challenge over the last few years. This may present an opportunity to either increase or decrease the number of teams in a given age group.
- It is TYSL's utmost priority to avoid cutting or denying players at all costs. To ensure every child has a chance to play, new team assignments from the Fall to the Spring may be necessary, and will come in the form of a mid-season tryout
How would mid-season tryouts work exactly?
- Shortly after the Fall season concludes, Spring registration numbers will determine which age groups may fall into this highly unlikely scenario (Spring registration deadline is typically in the mid-late Fall timeframe)
- If there is no significant negative impact to the teams in a given age group experiencing a turnover of players, placements will be handled based on players prior evaluations, history within TYSL (both team and divisional placements), and feedback from prior coaches
- If there are extremely significant negative impacts to a given team/age group, mid-season tryouts could be needed, and they would be held in the mid-December/early-January timeframe (deadlines to submit teams and rosters to MYSL are in the late-January timeframe)
- TYSL Travel Directors will be communicating to these age groups with as much advance notice as possible - typically in the October timeframe when Spring registration closes
- Location: TBD (High School age group - Spring season only age group - tryouts previously held at Tyngsboro Sports Center indoor turf fields)